Education Programming at WWCC
On Your Mark, our signature mentoring/tutoring program, provides one-to-one and small group tutoring for students of Portuguese and Spanish-speaking heritage in elementary and high school, and has been specifically geared to those who are struggling with literacy and numeracy standards for their grade level and attending special education support services. This program also addresses drop-out prevention and encourages the pursuit of post-secondary education.
On Your Mark works with volunteer tutors who use a student-centered approach to learning. Sessions are organized around the needs of the individual student. In addition to the academic support, sessions provide mentoring, foster friendships and help build self-esteem. On Your Mark students can discuss education and career goals with their tutor as they enter high school and when pursuing post-secondary education. On Your Mark operates during the school year and within both the public and catholic school boards.
Since the program’s inception in 2001, we have assisted nearly 3,000 students to date and annually serve over 200 students from 107 schools across different Toronto school boards.
This component of On Your Mark focuses on encouraging participants to expand their circle of support by exposing them to University students and business professionals. It aims to encourage youth to become familiar with post-secondary settings and works with parents to provide information and support regarding the school system. Some of the activities are:
This event is held annually on the same day as Take Your Kids to Work Day. High school youth are matched up with mentors who are currently attending University and have the opportunity to shadow them for the day at the University of their choice.
Transitions Workshop for Youth in Grades 7-12
These workshops focus on high school and post-secondary education, and provide career options information. Guest speakers present to students and parents, drawing on to their own personal academic experiences and offering ideas on how to identify an educational and professional path. Past guest speakers have included:
- Suzy Soares, news reporter and host at OMNI Television
- Josa Rodrigues, OMNI television reporter
- Tony Belas, president/owner of Ferma Foods
- Tony Azevedo, lawyer at Toronto law office Azevedo & Nelson
- Eunice Machado, Counsel, Crown Law Office – Civil at Ontario Ministry of the Attorney General
- Maggie Unsão, elementary school teacher
These workshops provide parents and guardians with practical tools and methods to offer assistance with the following:
- support for their child’s learning
- how to work closely with the Toronto school system
- understanding of the Ontario elementary school and high school curriculum, and the methods and behaviours to facilitate the learning process
Workshops are offered annually and attendance at at least one is mandatory for all parents.
The On Your Mark program relies on strong partnerships with:
- Toronto District School Board
- Toronto Catholic District School Board
- York University’s Teacher’s College Concurrent Program – ED I Community Field Placement
- University of Toronto – Concurrent Teacher Education Program
- The Federation of Portuguese Canadian Business and Professionals (FPCBP)
- Organization of Latin American Students at York University and University of Toronto
- Portuguese Association of York University and University of Toronto Portuguese Association
Parent Online Orientation Sessions
Parent Online Orientation Session (English) – CLICK HERE
Sesiones de Orientacion en linea para Padres (Español) – HAGA CLICK AQUI
Sessões de Orientação online para Pais (Português)- CLIQUE AQUI
Program Registration Packages/ Paquete de Inscripción en el Programa/ Pacote de Inscrição no Programa
Volunteer with On Your Mark
If you would be interested in volunteering with On Your Mark, click here.
Click on the heading above to access the online volunteer orientation page.
See our FAQs for some more details on the program.
Our Resources page has some of our most useful resources for parents, students and tutors. Check it out!