- Parent Online Orientation Sessions
- Program Registration Packages/ Paquete de Inscripción en el Programa/ Pacote de Inscrição no Programa
- Volunteer with On Your Mark
- Volunteer Online Orientation Sessions
- See our FAQ’s for some more details on the program.
- Our Resources page has some of our most useful resources for parents, students and tutors, check it out!
The On Your Mark academic support program provides one-to-one and small group tutoring for students of Portuguese and Spanish speaking descent in elementary and high school. The program is geared to students who are struggling with literacy and numeracy standards for their grades and students who are attending special education support services. This program works to prevent drop-outs and to encourage the pursuit of post-secondary education. On Your Mark works with volunteer tutors who use a student-centered approach to learning; sessions are organized around the needs of the individual student. In addition to the academics, the sessions provide mentoring, foster friendships and help build self-esteem. On Your Mark students can discuss education and career goals with their tutor as they enter high school and when pursuing post-secondary education. – On Your Mark operates during the school year and within both the public and catholic school boards.
In the 2012-2013 school year we served 250 students, worked with 184 volunteers, operated out of 9 schools six days a week and welcomed students from 53 schools from both the Toronto District School Board (TDSB) and Toronto Catholic District School Board (TCDSB).
Mentoring This component of On Your Mark focuses on encouraging participants to expand their circle of support by exposing them to University students and business professionals. It aims to encourage youth to become familiar with post secondary settings and works with parents to provide information and support regarding the school system. Some of the activities are:
- Adopt-A-Student Day This event is held on the same day as Take Your Kids to Work Day Grade 11-12 High school youth are matched with a University mentor and shadow them for the day at the University of their choice. This year, the event was held on November 6th, had 44 students from 7 high schools in the community, both TDSB & TCDSB.
- Transitions Workshop for Youth for Grades 7-12 These workshops are provided to students regarding high school and post-secondary education and career options information. Guest speakers present to students and parents referring to their own educational experience. They provide ideas on how to identify an educational and professional path. Past guest speakers have included: Suzy Soares, news reporter/host at OMNI Television, Josa Rodrigues, OMNI Television Reporter Tony Belas, president/owner of Ferma Foods; Tony Azevedo, lawyer for Azevedo & Nelson; Eunice Machado, Lawyer at Crown Law Office and Maggie Unsão, elementary school teacher.
- Parent Workshops provide parents and guardians practical tools and methods to support their child’s learning, how to work closely with the school system, understanding the Ontario elementary school and high school curriculum, methods and behaviours to facilitate the learning process. These workshops are offered annually and attendance at at least one is mandatory for all parents. Check out the calendar for dates and times.
This program relies on strong partnerships with:
- Toronto District School Board
- Toronto Catholic District School Board
- York University’s Teacher’s College Concurrent Program – ED I Community Field Placement
- University of Toronto – Concurrent Teacher Education Program
- The Federation of Portuguese Canadian Business and Professionals (FPCBP)
- Organization of Latin American Students at York University and University of Toronto
- Portuguese Association of York University and University of Toronto Portuguese Association
Parent Online Orientation Sessions
Parent Online Orientation Session- CLICK HERE
Sesiones de Orientacion en linea para Padres (Español)- HAGA CLICK AQUI
Sessões de Orientação online para Pais (Português)- CLIQUE AQUI
Program Registration Packages/ Paquete de Inscripción en el Programa/ Pacote de Inscrição no Programa
Volunteer with On Your Mark
If you would be interested in volunteering with on your mark, click here to access our volunteer positions.
Click on the heading above to access the online volunteer orientation page.
See our FAQ’s for some more details on the program.
Our Resources page has some of our most useful resources for parents, students and tutors, check it out!